Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Olympic Excitement


The torch arrived 100 Mile House today, and the school was invited in to share in the ceremonies and excitement. The kids could hardly contain themselves and the turnout from the city was incredible.



Amazing Turnout!! and everyone was so fired up it was so neat to see and experience. Lots of things to see, the ice sculpture above, there were supposed to be lots of sculptures lining airport road, but the weather has been too warm, so they couldn't do it .





Coca Cola had a trailer with all sorts of stuff to look at, there was the trailer where you could video a message to be played in Vancouver (we did as a school, Taylor is right up front) RBC had tons of stuff and then the stage show was huge too! The kids were very overwhelmed, well I was too, I had my three and one more, so it was hard to navigate through the crowds, so we stayed in the back and watched. Also it was COLD!!! the wind was whipping across the lake out front and I forgot mittens for the kids, they were so cold.

We decided to start walking back to the car and on the way we saw the torch coming in, that was AWESOME!

This is Gabe Bergen, he is a rower and trains in Victoria, he grew up in 100 Mile House.


Tayler had Strong Start today and her teacher made the kids a few momentos for the occasion.

She was very proud of her torch and medal, even the boys were a bit jealous!


After it was all over (well after we left ) we went to get groceries and do laundry and low and behold we were just in time to see the torch again right on Birch Ave. And this time we were able to see the transfer of the flame!


Unfortunately, I don't who these people are, though when it was coming down Birch ave to meet up with the guy on the left, there was a huge crowd of First Nations in the jogging suits with the flame, but I'm not sure which Band they were part of.


It was a real neat experience today and I am glad we partook in the whole event - well as much as we could, even though it was hard for the kids. I kept telling them this is probably a once in a lifetime thing and part of history, they were pretty keyed up about that.

I was on the phone to Ed this evening (he is in Victoria tonight) and I was telling him all about it, and he said he applied to be a torch bearer when he was younger - I did not know this, I thought it was pretty cool, even if he didn't get to run, I never thought of doing things like that.







1 comment:

Erin {pughs' news} said...

That ice sculpture is AWESOME! How cool that you got to take part...

I saw Ed's truck yesterday. Sigh. Very sad. How soon till I see you? Not soon enough. I'd better start putting together a little parcel of fun to cheer myself up. What do you think? Good plan?!