When we first arrived this competitor invited us to pet her dogs, Tay had to hide her cookie so it didn't get stolen. I was asking questions while the kids were enjoying the dogs and she told me she just competed in the 4 dog race, against her mom and they ran 9 KM is approx 24 and 26, minutes - HOLY COW!!! She also told the kids that a couple of their dogs are from the Disney movie Snow Buddies, above is Freckles and to the right is Sarge, he was very vocal!

Ski Jouring - that looks like so much fun, but at the same time, absolutely Crazy! This was the last competitor to come across the finish line and she was so upset because she had to drag her dogs part of the way as they wanted to turn around and head back. I felt bad for her, but I give her credit for just competing. I was thinking this would be a great way to excerise Shayleigh but I don't think I can trust her THAT much.

Ski Jouring - that looks like so much fun, but at the same time, absolutely Crazy! This was the last competitor to come across the finish line and she was so upset because she had to drag her dogs part of the way as they wanted to turn around and head back. I felt bad for her, but I give her credit for just competing. I was thinking this would be a great way to excerise Shayleigh but I don't think I can trust her THAT much.


There were quite a few teams, and from all over, Edmonton, Prince George, Vancouver Island, Grande Prairie, Lac Lac Hache, 100 Mile House and the above team was from Whistler. I watched them set up for 2 competitors to run the six dog race, it was mass of jumping, excited dogs, but they had them completely under control. One of the team members was a really young boy, but he was right in there helping out and I think he competed too as he was wearing a number. The biggest thing I found amazing was there are no lines to the lead dogs at all, they are controlled by voice commands only. One lady went out and when she was getting ready two of her dogs were actually jumping over the dogs they were paired with, I was thinking to myself, Oh man I wouldn't want to be in her shoes, this is cause for disaster. But when she came across the finish line there was no one there to meet her (as with everyone else) her dogs stopped just beyond the finish line, she got her time, called "UP" to the lead dog and he took her right to her truck - It was really amazing the control and trust she had with her lead dog.
Between all these people you can barely see the first racer, in the 6 dog race, to come across the finish line - they were FLYING!!!!
All in all it was really fun to watch. And the weather was wonderful clear skies and warmer temperatures, which made standing around watching way easier! And the setting was beautiful, 108 Heritage site and they raced around the ice covered lake.



2 comments:
Amazing. Something you never, ever would have experienced living in Victoria!
Post a Comment