Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

My Little Gardener

It all started with a beet in the compost pile. Russell found the beet I threw in the pile and decided he would make a garden and plant it.  Since then he has planted corn, beans, cucumbers, and nasturshums (I can't remember how to spell it) in his little plot. The funny part is he can grow the plants I couldn't even get started, for the example the corn - I planted 12 corn in the house in early spring, in really nice soil, not one came up. Russ planted 2 and both are healthy and tall. Nasturshums - I planted 12 in the house again in nice soil, not one, I even tried right in the garden outside (6 more) not one plant popped up - Russ planted one and it is a happy healthy plant.  And I spent weeks digging out my garden turned the soil mixing in horse manure letting it sit, turning it again adding some dry grass to help fluff up the dirt - and Russ's garden is sand ( mostly ) and all his plants love it - he is very proud of himself and I think he has good reason - next year I will take lessons from Russ.

He asked Daddy for a sign so the deer would know it was his garden and not to come for snacks.  He made sure his plot was close to his bedroom window so he could yell at deer if they came by.
Check out those corn stalks
His little plot, with the bucket of water our neighbour brought by specifically for Russ garden. In the bottom corner is the little barn he made in case Honey needs a place to hide.

2 comments:

Erin {pughs' news} said...

Alan will be so proud!

PS: We're home. Talk to you soon!
xo

Chris said...

Russ needs to come visit me and help me with my garden!